Thursday, July 06, 2017

Star vs. The Forces of Evil Review 2: Episode 6 -- "Starsitting / On the Job"



What up, fellow Stargazers!

Today I am giddy to present to you another of my favorite episodes of Season 2 so far. In Review form.

Before I begin, I wanna mention that this episode features the Two Lines, No Waiting plot-line-- where two different stories take place at the same time, with the same characters.
Remember that show Chowder? They did this too with one of their best episodes.
And so did that classic episode of Community (and that did that to the MAX!).
And that slightly-reviled fourth season of Arrested Development too.
I definitely remember watching episodes like this when I was a kid, and I thought it was cool for this to happen. And I STILL think this as we get into today’s episode…

So, let’s begin with the first half of the story,


So, Buff Frog returns to our collective groans and squees after switching occupations from Ludo’s loyal (and fired) Number 2 to even-more loyal Number 1 to his cutie little babies as a stay-at-home single dad. Seeing him again alone made me squee, and seeing his little taddies at this early stage of their lives made me squee even more. But since this is about Starco watching his kids/product of a great idea for a Muppet Babies-inspired fanfic...just as much made me squee.

To see Star’s increasing delight of what to do as babysitter made me smile so wide. Pretty much her adoration at the babies is pretty much how I act around them...until they cry...and poop...and talk...and badmouth me. Basically it all stops when they turn 8 (sometimes lower.
Then again if she did what Buff Frog’s binder told her, we wouldn’t have an episode.
Meanwhile, seeing Marco being a responsible babysitter also makes me smile, as he does what he can to take care of the taddies and be a model big brother. We should know; his family was a foster family for pretty much his whole life. Plus him speaking like BF (fake Russian accent, of course) was hilarious.

The taddies later growing their legs surprised me. I didn’t expect this, so to see them grow and walk made my heart expand. Seeing them and Star climb up and slide down the banister was hilarious.

When BF returned to his little taddies, it made me tear up. (No seriously) Seeing father and daughters...and son...and conjoined offspring...reunite makes me more humbled inside that any “You Are the Father” story on Maury. And boy were there so many emotions! Happiness when family returned together, sadness when BF misses when the taddies grow their legs (literally) and their first steps, and delight when he sees late bloomer Katrina grow hers (I see future of her being Daddy’s favorite.


Random Thoughts:
-Next time I have kids over, I’ll just have cake. You know...for me celebrate when those little tykes leave. I mean, Star had that idea. The general cake idea...not feeding the taddies. That was horrible.
-Seeing Starco put the babies to sleep was one of the most sweet-dreams fuel things I've ever seen. Such beautiful Russian names too.
-I'm not gonna say anything about Star's reaction to how cute BF's taddies are without people looking at me like a creepo so moving on...
-If I ever have children (and I’m talkin’ toothpick slim a chance), I wish I could be as good a dad to my kids as BF is to his. (No joke.)
-No lie; throughout the episode, any other time BF (or Marc) speaks in the former’s accent, I say the same things the same way too. It's funny. Cause I’m weird like that.
-Gosh, I miss that sound when someone goes through an inter-dimensional portal. I hope there'll be more this season (oh wait, 22 episodes; of course they'll be more).

Favorite Lines:
-“Punch! Punch! Chiii-oop!” -Marco
--I don't know why I like that. Hopefully, not my Marco bias.
-"If the rules get in the way of the fun what's the point?" -Star
--Amen, sister. If only life was like that sometimes.
=
Marco "[whispers] You've never baby-sat before, have you?"
Star         "Noooo. But I was a baby once."

A real adorable baby.
=


Fave Moments:
--When BF brought the taddies.
--When Starco played the game
--When Starco laid the taddies to sleep
--When the taddies blasted Starco (especially Star) with her cake lunch
--Sliding down the banister
--BF's return
--(I guess all of this episode)

This episode was so goooood. BF was back, and he was much more likable than ever before. (Then again, who could hate this strong-willed, yet chubby-skinned number two of a bad baddie? Nobody, that's who.) Starco's adventure to take care of the tabbies was entertaining (although how they got there kinda annoyed me [but then again, what kind of episode would it be without it?]) And the taddies are soooooo cyuuuuuute! (Yes, they're tadpoles with eyes; still get off my жопа!)

--

And now to the other half of this successful at-the-same-time episode...


While the first half focused on Starco taking care of his babies, this last half takes a look at Buff Frog on a random day in his life after being a dad.

This halfer was very good.

Buff Frog loves his kids a lot, and will do so much as bend over backwards (or looking at him, attempt to) for them to prove it. But since their cupboards are bare, he does prove the back bend by getting them some quality food. Seeing BF being this proud of having kids, loving his kids and dealing with dickish co-workers to get corn (and later saving them with his kickass earthshaking jumps) made this episode.
Also, it’s clear his heart was on his sleeve throughout; he misses the taddies and wants to see them grow, but wants to work to keep them fed (that's definitely what being a real dad is all about).

 Also, his boss Boo Fly actually cares about his grind and did a great job lending him a hand in feeding the taddies with a job, and does defend him twice. And BF (...Buff Frog) really did try to commit the deed of swiping corn , and when he feels guilty not doing it because of his continued worry of his kids, you just can’t help but feel sorry for AND proud of him for growing to a(n almost) completely different person.

Those dickish co-workers were pretty funny and did have some moments I’ll remember well too.

Also, we see how all the corn was stolen and who's behind the evil plot...Ludo.
(I keep it as short as the scene, because that was brilliant and another development to continue his reforming to become a better adversary.)

Favorite Lines:
Dogbull "Buff Frog?"
Boo Fly "Buff Frog."
Dogbull "Buff Frog Buff Frog?"
Boo Fly "Buff Frog Buff Frog."
Dogbull "The Buff Frog?"
Buff Frog "[arriving] Actually, it's Yvgeny Bulgolyubov."
Dogbull    "What?"
=
Dogbull "He's just like me. Ah, whatever. Last time he got his hands dirty, he was changing diapers. Heh-heh."
Buff Frog "[grabs Dogbull] You want me to change your diaper?"
Dogbull [gasps, growls]
=
--"Thumpie-bumpies!" -BF & BF (uhhh, Buff Frog & Boo Fly [sorry])
=
-Everything Buff Frog said that reminded him of his kids
=
"Know what? I'm gonna call my dad." -Dogbull
=
"Corn, corn, corn. Ha ha! Corn! Corn! Corn! [hears something] Huh? [looks outside, sees monsters] My corn!" -King Butterfly

So...this episode was really good. Some more memorable moments and development from Buff Frog, another devious attrocity from his former boss, some new characters to love to root against, and another definite favorite episode of mine this season so far.

Well, that ends it for Episode 6.
Thank you all for your appearance.
I will return tomorrow for Episode 7...


I will see you in about 24 hours for that. NO EXCUSES! NO EXCEPTIONS!
This has been Andrew, saying "Reach for Star, and keep the look up!...at [personal electronic device].

No comments:

Post a Comment