Tuesday, July 11, 2017

TT is for Toony Tuesday Twenty17: F is for Family -- S2 is for Season Two

WARNING: This review contains major spoilers. Please do not read if you haven’t watched even half of this season yet. If you do and you complain to me, I will find you, grab you and put you through that f*ckin’ wall! (okay, not really. ...maybe.)



When I began watching this series, I was irritated...and then surprised. I actually enjoyed this show. At times very raunchy and really funny, at times very moving and VERY heartbreaking.
Since watching Season One in January 2016, I’ve become a fan. And even though I can breeze through the whole thing a lot, the fact that I had to wait about a full 18 months for the next season annoyed me so much, I wanted to put myself through a f*ckin’ wall.

And now, finally, it’s back for another season. And I’m pleased.
What it turned out to be is another story.

It’s F is for Family - Season Two.

There were a few storylines in this season that interested me the most:
--After losing his job on Christmas Eve night, our foul-mouthed, short-fused, but loving and caring(ish?) protagonist Frank is down and out -- depressed, hurt beyond all belief and pretty much close to an invalid, especially after seeing a commercial for his former employer Mohican Airways. But after being replaced in his former position by Roger Dunbarton’s mentally insane nephew Scoop, his ex co-workers want him back, even Bob Pogo--whom I thought his super-fat ass would freeze to death at the end of last season. Well, after losing weight from his camel hump full of leftovers. Oh well. Fortunately, Frank gets his buds to talk to him again.
--Sue is now a high-seller at Plast-a-ware. But because she packs products to herself and sends them to crazy hostile annoying people...and she hates it. Then she creates a new device to dry wet salad, like the salad spinner. (In fact, it's literally the salad spinner.) And her friend Vivian gives her what could be something to change her and family's lives forever: a meeting with the company's founder. And it all goes bad from here.
This storyline highlights the real-life problem of sexual harassment in the workplace. It was at times funny, and at times heart-wrenching to see our favorite housewife turned courageous businesswoman break down from the shitstorms of her chauvinistic male co-workers. Then there's a hope spot for her but I'll get to that later on.
--Bill is just a shy, timid little boy, thrust into the world only to be beaten, embarrassed, humiliated, heartbroken and traumatized by it with things he really didn't need to see. He tries his best to grow a spine, but it never works for him. And in this season, it gets worse. He's still a laughingstock and a magnet for bullying and getting hurt. He's still Jimmy Fitzsimmons’ main target and is mocked by other characters. Nothing goes his way.
--Vic has a new girlfriend named Cutie Pie. At first all is great, until it’s revealed she’s sleeping around with everyone behind Vic’s back. And it gets worse from there.

There are also some story-lines I didn't care as much for.
--Kevin is still dumb smartass. After having enough of trying in school, sharing a room with Bill and putting up with Frank (despite him trying to help), he moves into the basement to start a music career. While funny at times, he can be a dick to people who really don't deserve it, especially Bill. (I honestly couldn't stand this one the most)
--Then there's Ginny, an annoying cunt of a woman who whines her tits off about why her life/marriage is crap or why people won’t be around her. then, her story gets more interesting when we meet her husband Greg, who is gay. Ginny won't accept this, and wants him to stay with her...by (unintentionally) emotionally abusing him. This was a harsh (but entertaining) take on homosexuality in the 20th century. I really couldn't care for this bitch from the moment we first met her (and since she was supposed to be disliked, that's quite an achievement). But since this story-line ended, I couldn't stand this cunt even more, and I felt super sorry for Greg. I wish they’d divorce so Greg can finally be free, and we’d never see Ginny’s irritating flat ass anymore.

There are a few pieces of foreshadowing early on this season that I picked up on right away.
-Frank and Sue are conflicted. Frank wants to have sex, and Sue doesn't. Because of their newfound poverty and risk of raising their family on one income (Sue’s), they can't risk boning. I guessed they were gonna have another child. I was proven right (seemingly) halfway through, and when Frank grabs some condoms that turned out to be the same ones his new boss Smokey pops randomly for shits and giggles (1, 2, 3, BABY!).
-When I first saw Bill almost about to get hit by a car, I knew someone was gonna get hit. I didn't expect it to be Bill’s bully Jimmy Fitzsimmons though. Since I don't like or care for him, I smiled my ass off. Also, him going off to military school made me smile my ass off. Too bad it didn't last, because we--Bill can't have nice things. (Although, I do feel sad for him now; he didn't steal the hockey puck and didn't deserve to go to military school either).

Also, these characters go through major changes and consequences this season:
-Bill becomes more aggressive and harsh as a result of everyone everyone treating him horribly...and (of course) it blows up in his face when he loses his only friend Phillip for a while, gets in more trouble and ends up having his bully run over. He does gain Jimmy’s respect and the affection of his sister at the end, so all may be pretty well for the character based on the creator.
-Kevin has sex with Vic’s girlfriend Cutie Pie, causing him to suffer psychological issues that come from this. While a male teenager may think it’s seemingly cool for him to sleep with a hot older woman, at most times it's statutory rape--which cause problems for both parties involved. And no telling when the significant other finds out. Oh wait…
-Vic is a very nice neighbor and cool, laid-back dude who'll go out of his way to help you out. Unfortunately, he's also into the grass and blow, which leads him to losing his job his former format-changing local radio station. And if that wasn't enough, after he learns that Kevin had sex with his girl (from an extremely guilty Kevin himself via a 30-minute-long admission song), he snaps and shoots up his own house (fortunately no one was hurt). Fortunately, things seemingly cool down (in Vic’s case, literally, as he freezes later on).

When this season ended, it felt like things wrapped up, but not all the way.
-Frank and Sue are about to safe bang, but we’re gonna get another little Murphy out of it (...probably). Bill has his friend Phillip back, and some newfound respect with Jimmy Fitzsimmons (plus he [and we] get some deserved payback at Maureen), but nothing still goes good for him. At least he gets a girl’s likeness out of it. Kevin and Vic may be on good terms, but we don’t know what’s next.
It is obvious that some new storylines are coming out of this, and when I left the finale, I wasn’t all the way enjoying it like I did the first season. That season closed with open intent, and I'm left wondering what our favorite far-out family will forgo in season three. It's not gonna get better that's for sure, and if anything I might actually cry from a few moments of the next group of episodes. But I know something: A lot of swearing, some shockingly random and crude moments to fry your brain, and some heavy hitting moments to make your heart hurt and warm (some simultaneously).

I love this show, and I can't wait for what Bill Burr and the rest of the staff have for us in Season 3 next year.


Fave Characters:
Frank - his depressed state after losing his job was a powerful thing to see; so much so that getting a new job--and then a plan to get his old job back--really makes you excited for him.
Sue - her determination to get a job succeeded last time. But her determination to keep the job while dealing with sexist assholes for co-workers and her old-fashioned husband was the real challenge. To see her break down from the pressure and climb up to create the Salad Spinner (although later losing the credit) felt cathartic and redeeming (if only for a while).
-Vic - Still one of my favorite characters, I expected to end up off the deep end for taking his love of coke to the extreme. I just didn't see him getting fired from his job coming.
-Bill - He’s still getting screwed over and being called a pussy. But you can't help but root for him for trying grow a spine.
-Rosie - Still another of my favorite characters, he gets his likeness by becoming friends with Frank again and helping him out in the job department by referring him to his friend Smokey, who gives Frank a job with his delivery service. And then for the plan to explode.



Random Thoughts:
-Cutie Pie should count her blessings she wasn’t shot. If I found my woman cheating on me...well, I still wouldn’t shoot her. But I’d look like I did to scare her. Then I’d kick her out.
-Dunbarton (or should I write, Dumbarton) got what he deserve when he died via a sharp tray to his neck, thanks to dumb borderline invalid Scoop stepping on a bomb and getting blown to bits (well, halfway).
-I would feel sorry for Kevin for sleeping with Vic’s girl (in Vic’s house)... not really.
-I wouldn’t be surprised if Sue (with Vivian) and Henrietta von (Not-a-Mister-Rogers-character) Home come to blows if the lawsuit goes nowhere.
-Whatever crap I got as a kid, I should count my blessings. I'm ever so lucky I'm not like Bill.

Since season 1 was six episodes, it was obvious not a lot of character development and wiggle room to expand was to be found. Since this season nearly doubles the episode count, we get that expansion and some damn good development.

-Frank is less loud at times, and shows more of his love for his kids. He gets a new job with Rosie's friend Smokey, and takes
-Sue moves on up in her employment, and is ruined by sexual. She then creates the idea for a kitchen appliance like the Salad Spinner.
-Kevin goes through some traumatic moments this season. He fell into a frozen river (based on an incident in which he almost drowned in a motel swimming when he was a child),
-Bill is much more aggressive and jerky, to the point where he;s more of a bully to his friend Phillip. This change would later lose his friend (fortunately, he gets Phillip back and gains cool points with his bully Jimmy and cute points with Jimmy's sister.)
-Maureen shows more interest in decidedly less girly activities than last season, showing herself as more of a tomboy. If she wasn't wearing a skirt all the time, I'd see it more and more.
-Vic is still one cool dude and a very nice neighbor and friend, but after his radio station changes formats--and his girlfriend Cutie Pie changes lovers, he gets the short end (and no, not his dick) and finally shows negative emotion and snaps. Fortunately, it doesn't last long.
-Vivian isn't as plastic and vapid as she was in S1, and does show care and compassion for Sue when she jumps up to corporate. And she's a great friend when Sue's Salad Spinner is stolen by the founder Henrietta von (not Pussycat) Horne.


This was a super groovy season. The strengths were picked up, the weaknesses were mostly removed, and some great development. Like Season One, I highly recommend it. It's funny, sad and humbling. Another must watch for Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment