Thursday, July 13, 2017

Star vs. The Forces of Evil Review 2: Episode 13 -- "Bon Bon the Birthday Clown"



HOLY. MOTHER. OF. CHRIST.



I had no idea what to expect in this episode, and now I have some many more questions waiting to be answered.

But first, let's talk a bit about Bon-Bon himself.
He's such an adorable, lovable, happy-go-lucky clown. Too bad his luck ran out with some trick candles. Before he passed on, he promised he'll be back in 100 years.
Too bad he got the short end as the episode continued.

Star and Janna want to go to a seance to see Bon-Bon rise for the dead, while Marco wants to go to the school dance with Jackie Lynn. Things get hazy from there.

During the scene when Jackie and Marc met in their fanciest duds, my heart melted and teared up a bit. But (as my Jarco/Marckie side) as happy as I was to see them together for the dance (and later date, as Jackie wanted to blow the dance), I (as my Starco side) felt super sad for Star. And this happiness and sadness continued later on during (respectively) Jarco's date and Star and Janna's Bon-Bon seance.
Seeing Star use her powers to sneak a peek, and then make Jarco trip made my jaw drop. And when they kissed, my happy/sad emotions intensified (to the point I nearly had both a moment of ecstasy and an ulcer). And ain't no telling what Star would've felt had she watched a bit longer. I really felt heartbroken for our heart-cheeked heroine. She had just had feelings for our cool-as-a-cucumber co-hero, and now they're towards. Now I wonder what her feelings for Oskar Greason will be like going forward (what will be his reaction). Also, the Blood Moon shone for the first time since "Blood Moon Ball"; when I saw it, my eyes widened. Remember when the moonlight shined on Starco, it was like it was meant to be. And now, it seems like they may be the Official Couple. (I'm very happy; but I wouldn't hold out my breath if it doesn't last.)

When the seance seems to have worked...in comes Ludo. (may I curse here, please? Thank you.) Holy Shit. (I know when I saw his rat army, it had to be him, but still...) His surprise return to Earth was really that, and the ensuing fight with Star has to their best yet. It was heavy, it was intense, it was eye-opening; and--thanks to peeking at Jarco's night out, it was emotional.
Then when Star was close to ending up in the void, I was clenching my teeth to point of almost breaking them. When Marco, Jackie and Janna saved her, he picked her up, asked if she was okay...and then quickly moves over to Jackie Lynn.
That face she made will make almost anyone vulnerable. Half as vulnerable as she was.

I never realized I had so many feel from a show of any kind in a long time, and this episode unleashed them for me. And I say this considering the fact that we were supposed to be looking forward to the rising return of Bon-Bon the Birthday Clown. I mean his name was the title of the episode, and he was supposed to be the first thing to look out for. But because of the forming love triangle, the resulting feels, Glossaryck's shade-y mouth, Janna's craftiness and the return of Ludo, all of that pushed Bon-Bon to the end of the list, just like the fight pushed him to the void. Damn. I feel so guilty.

Random Thoughts:
--Principal Skeeves and Miss Skulltroll--uhh, Skullnick return briefly during the dance scene. Nice to see them again. Oh and, don't dance close, cause Miss Skull won't have it.
--Recognize that piece of music playing while Marc is sulking with tortilla chips in "Blood Moon Ball"? It's played here as well during his grooming session, and someone else is sulking. (By the way, I need to try out that deodorant phrase he said).
--Since Janna is featured more, I can't wait for more stalking and breaking into people'
s things. seems perfect as the group's safe cracking member.
--There are comments in the fan page saying that Marco was more positive to Star's outfit for a dance than he was for Jackie's. Really throws me for a loop.
--This episode was a real ship-fest. But I feel this was a troll's work by the writer's staff to screw over both ship-bases to focus on the story. If so, then...well done, writers. You sure schemed a good twist of the knife. Now please, on behalf of us all...stop.

Fave Moments:
Hard to say which ones over others, so the whole episode

Oh yeah, and because Ludo now has Star's spell book (to her painful sadness) and him in his possession, Glossaryck has now gone to the dark side. HOLY. FUCK.

This episode left me so emotional and conflicted, that I'm gonna stop the review-a-day stunt for now. I know, I wanted to review Star. vs. Season 2 every day during the month of July, but getting these reviews done and posted at the very end of the day took some strength out of me. It's the hardest working I've been in a long while, and I've been wasting the time barely getting them done and posting them. And since this episode was the winter finale, it seems like the right time. So starting next week or so, I'll review the last nine episodes in sequence, just like I've been posting them across this month (and just so you know, episodes 1 (already posted) & 2 (not posted yet) will be in the list as well. Thank ypu for your understanding.

And to end it here, thank you all for joining me here. Special shout-out to the SvtFoE Wikia page for everything here. Much appreciated.

I hope you guys join next week for the next nine Reviews of the last nine (or ten) episodes of Star vs. The Forces of Evil Season Two. Hopefully, those reviews aren't as mind-numbing messes.

For now, This is Andrew, saying
"Reach for the Star, and Keep Looking Up! ...at your [whatever is your] screen."

No comments:

Post a Comment